The restoration is being done using period tools and techniques and offers
opportunities for visitors to participate. The aim of restoration is to
strengthen the barn to allow it to be used for both ca 1900 farming processes
and interpretive programs rather than return the barn to its 1900 configuration.
Due to the historic nature of the barn as much original material as possible
will be preserved, while structurally unsound timbers will be replaced
with timbers fashioned from similar woods.
The original fieldstone foundation will be restored and repointed using
a mortar "recipe" developed from an analysis of original mortar
The Horse Barn and Ell - Sections A and C
When restored this area will contain a box stall for a cow and calf
and seven straight stalls for the work horses. The second floor will
be the hay mow. The concrete floor will be removed and replaced with
planking. The tool and work area at the south end will be relocated
to another building. The oxen presently housed in this barn will be
moved to the newly erected barn just north and east of the Henry Phillips
Working Barn - Section B
This section will be restored to its original use as a grain processing
area and the horses will be moved to the restored Section A. The concrete
floor will be replaced with heavy planking. The large doors in the north
and south walls will be restored to allow wagons to drive onto the threshing
floor. The area just west of the threshing floor and the restored power
shed on the north side will have a grain processing area powered by
horse power or gasoline engine.
The West Extension - Sections D and E
The horses and their equipment will move to Section B. This section
will then become a visitor interpretative area with a second floor area
designed for use by school groups. The shed, Section E, will be removed.